This week we are looking at Mark 8:22-30, which is all about how Jesus opens our eyes to his identity. I attach a handout to help you focus on the meeting along with some application questions to help us in our time together. This week, Kirsty leads us in prayer with Rebecca singing along with Alison playing.
Introduction: “no one understood the significance of who was in their midst”
Mark’s gospel so far: the disciples do not understand the significance of who is in their midst
- Highlighted by Jesus’ 5 questions: 8.17-18, 21
Only Jesus can open our eyes to who he is – it takes a miracle of spiritual sight
1. A physical healing: blindness to sight v22-26
Why does Mark include this healing at this moment in his gospel? Why is it a gradual healing?
2. A spiritual healing: blindness to sight v27-30
- What are some of the answers your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours would say to Jesus’ question in v27? How can we help them to think about Jesus?
- How is Peter (and therefore the disciples) like the blind man?
- How has your answer to Jesus’ question: “Who do you say I am?” developed during lockdown as we have looked at Mark’s gospel? In what ways do our lives show that Jesus is our King?
- How can we see Jesus more clearly? How is our journey from blindness to sight not yet complete?