This week we are looking at Mark 6:45-56 which records Jesus walking on water in fulfilment of scripture. I attach a handout to help you focus on the meeting along with some application questions to help us in our time together. This week, Ian Keith goes straight into the reading, so be prepared for no introduction and then John Hall takes us through these verses in a personally challenging way. I will lead us in some short prayers followed by Alison playing a hymn with words, so that you can sing along at home.
v51-52 the disciples “were completely amazed, for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.”
Clues to understanding “the loaves”…
- Manna in the wilderness (Exodus 16:4),
- The order in which God’s people were camped in the desert (Ex 18:21),
- A greater Moses (Deut 18:18-19),
- The Passover (Ex 12).
Clues to understanding the divinity of Jesus…
- The crossing of the Red Sea (Ex 14: 22, 30).
- Moses on Mount Sinai (Ex 34:6)
- Elijah on Mount Sinai (1 Kings 19:11).
- “I AM WHO I AM” (Ex 3:14).
- “God alone treads on the waves of the sea... and performs... miracles that cannot be counted” (Job 9:8).
- What can I take away from the Bible passage which makes me want to rejoice?
- How does the Bible passage make me want to change my life? In what ways?